Applications are open for the Women for Africa Foundation (FMxA) Science by Women Programme 2020. The Women for Africa Foundation is launching the 6th Edition of Science by Women Programme, with the aim to promote African women’s leadership in scientific research and technology transfer and to foster the capacity of the research centres in their home countries.
The main goal is to enable African women researchers and scientists to tackle the great challenges faced by Africa through research in health and biomedicine, sustainable agriculture and food security, water, energy and climate change.
Considering the exceptional challenge of the COVID-19 pandemic, some of the fellowships are focused on the research and innovation carried out by African women scientists from the diverse and interdisciplinary approaches.
Women’s lives are significantly affected by the repercussions of uncontrolled development; however, social, structural and economic barriers limit their capacity to tackle the great challenges faced by the continent. The gender disparities in science and technology in both the public and private spheres affect Africa’s population as a whole. Narrowing this gap, which has severe consequences on the balanced and sustainable development of African countries, is vital to achieve long-term progress and equal growing.
Successful candidates will have access to the following benefits:
- Return flight from their centre of origin to the host institution
- Living allowance of 2,400 Euros gross per month to cover accommodation, personal expense and health and occupational accident insurance coverage.
Deadline: September 30, 2020
- Applicant must be a woman;
- Be a national of an African country;
- Have a PhD with at least 3 years of post-doctoral professional experience;
- Contractual relationship with a university or a public or private non profit organization based in Africa dedicated to significant scientific research in the areas indicated;
- Excellent academic record and proven track of relevant research experience;
- Solid working knowledge of English;
- Proven experience leading a research group.
Applications will be subjected to a highly competitive selection process by the Women for Africa Foundation’s Scientific Committee. The jury will evaluate the following criteria:
- The candidate’s research career, curriculum vitae and experience as independent research group leader.
- The project’s scientific -technical quality and innovative potential.
- The expected and measurable economic or social impact of the research project.
- The candidate’s plan to communicate and disseminate the project’s results.
- The proper consideration of ethical issues where appropriate.
Only applications submitted in English via the Science by Women microsite will be accepted. They must include the following documents:
- Letter of Interest (max. 1 page)
- Full curriculum vitae (Europass format is recommended)
- Fully filled form
- Passport or NID
- PhD Diploma
- Research proposal (Brief and clear description of the project to be developed in the Spanish host centre (max. 2 pages)
For more information, visit Science by Women Programme.