The Council of Europe invites youth delegate application for the World Forum for Democracy 2020. The World Forum for Democracy is a unique platform for political decision-makers and activists to debate solutions to key challenges for democracies worldwide.
By identifying and analysing experimental initiatives and practices, the Forum highlights and encourages democracy innovations at the grassroots and their transfer on a systemic level in order to strengthen the foundations of democratic societies. The Forum thus contributes to the evolution of democracy towards more participatory and inclusive structures and institutions.
The 2020 World Forum for Democracy will debate the issues and generate new ideas for tackling the environmental crisis we face today. The core content of the Forum will consist of discussions about successful initiatives and actions, which have real-life initiatives as a starting point. General guiding principles will then be drawn to encourage and support future policy responses and field action. In this context, the Youth Department will invite 50-60 young people to participate and engage with decision-makers and opinion-formers in a reflection on the question of Democracy and Information.
European Youth Centre, Strasbourg
Preparatory Meeting: 14-15 November 2020
Dates of the WFD: 16-18 November 2020
During the World Forum, the youth participants will join the different labs and side events. Participants may be given particular roles in the labs and side-events according to their interests and competences (rapporteurs, moderators, audience…).
Altogether, the youth participants should be active partners and contributors to this World Forum, bringing in their own ideas and initiatives. Beyond the labs and side-events, the participants may organise parallel activities to make their voices heard and present their visions on fake news and democracy.
- Travel expenses and visa costs will be reimbursed upon presentation of the relevant receipts, according to the rules of the Council of Europe. Only the participants who attend the entire event (pre-Forum meeting and World Forum) can be reimbursed.
- Board and lodging are provided and paid for by the Council of Europe (arrival on Friday 13th November and departure on Thursday 19th November). Participants will be accommodated at the European Youth Centre in Strasbourg (EYCS).
In order to be selected and participate in the World Forum 2020 democracy and information, youth applicants should:
- Be aged 18-30 (exceptions can be made in special cases);
- Be able to communicate and work in English;
- Be actively involved in civil society democracy initiatives;
- Be motivated to contribute to developing new ideas on youth and democracy;
- Be ready to share own challenges faced in relation to media, fake news, information and its effects on democracy;
- Be ready to adopt a solution-oriented approach by bringing in new ideas and visions on the question of environment and democracy;
- Be available to participate fully in the World Forum for Democracy and the preparation process beforehand (i.e. arrive in Strasbourg on the 13th November and depart on the 19th November).
The youth representatives will be chosen on the basis of these criteria and a video to be submitted. The Council of Europe welcomes applications from all candidates who fulfil the above-mentioned profile, irrespective of gender, disability, marital or parental status, racial, ethnic or social origin, colour, religion, belief or sexual orientation.
The common working language of the event will be English. Candidates must be able to use English independently in order to be able to work and communicate efficiently.
All candidates must apply in 2 parts:
- An online application form should be completed via this link https://youthapplications.coe.int/Application-forms
- A short 1 minute video should be posted on YouTube, with the link attached to the online application form (see instructions below).
The application form must be submitted on-line before 28 July 2020 CET 13:00 (1 p.m.), together with a support letter from your NGO/sending organization if this is appropriate. In case of technical problems with the use of the platform, please send an e-mail to youthapplications[at]coe.int .
For more information, visit Council of Europe.
Deadline: July 28, 2020